In my excitement...

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
Ben-Had

In my excitement...

Post by Ben-Had »

For the first time when building a guitar I got ahead of myself and forgot to radius the top braces before gluing them on. I was excited about my new vacuum press and couldn't wait to try it out (it worked great by the way). So what to do? Then I remembered reading a post recently from John Hall about using KY Jelly and white vinegar (50/50 mix) and gooping it on. So I searched out that post and found it. Then I tried to verify it with an online search - nothing, NOTHING! about it. Surely, I thought, if this process works someone should have written about it - NOTHING! So know I was faced with having to place my trust in John and decided, "What the heck." I am pleased to say it worked like a charm. Gooped the stuff on, let it sit for a couple hours and worked the braces off with my artist's spatula. Only thing I might have done differently is let it sit a little longer. Only minor touch up was needed for the top. SO - hats off to John Hall. More people need to know about this.

Tim B
Tim Benware
Ben-Had

Re: In my excitement...

Post by Ben-Had »

Exactly. Makes a sort of gel a little thinner than the KY. Goop it along the glued edges and "Voila!" And when your done you can use the excess for ... well never-mind:)

PS: I used it on Titebond original glue, don't know how it might work with other types.
Tim Benware