EIR OM w/Lacewood

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
Ken C

EIR OM w/Lacewood

Post by Ken C »

Got the OM setup yesterday. It plays and sounds nice. Might be the best and straightest fingerboard yet. I'll have a couple of months to play it until I send it off as a surprise to a friend in California. Nothing very fancy about this one, and I really tried to keep the costs down. The top is AA lutz. I cut the bindings from a lacewood board. I stained the rosette and neck a reddish brown to try and bring out the reds in the tulip wood back strip and some of the reds in the EIR. In hindsight, I'm not convinced that was the right thing to do, but it didn't look so out of place as to make me want to redo them. The new thing I did with this one was bind the headstock.

Looking back at my notes, I started this one in February! Wow! My longest build ever! I did have it ready to spray about three months ago, but the dog days of summer hit, so I set it aside and worked on a Les Paul build, which is now all set up too.

On the bench now are two J-185 styled guitars--another in Claro Walnut and one in spalted mango.

Ken
IMGP9569.jpg
IMGP9657.jpg
IMGP9597.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken C

Re: EIR OM w/Lacewood

Post by Ken C »

A few more pix:
IMGP9586.jpg
IMGP9636.jpg
IMGP9610_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

Last ones!
IMGP9646.jpg
IMGP9650.jpg
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Ken the guitar is gorgeous. I really like the lacewood binding and end graft. The binding on the fretboard and head stock looks great as well giving the guitar a clean finished look. I am really jealous over how nice the finish looks.
mjmeehan

Post by mjmeehan »

Wow, Ken, that's a sweet looking guitar! I love the lacewood. Was it pretty smooth or did you have to fill it somehow?
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Awesome!
I got no other words :)
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

Thanks guys! MJ, the lacewood was a bit of a pain. No problems in bending, but it is very splintery. I was constantly digging slivers out of my hands and fingers while I was working with the wood. It did need to be pore filled--think oak and you'll have a good sense of what the pores are like.

Ken
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

HOT DOG!
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Wow. It looks awesome! Love the wood choices. Another great one!
darren

Post by darren »

Nice Job! Lets hear it!
Darren