EIR OM w/Lacewood

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
Ken Hundley

Re: EIR OM w/Lacewood

Post by Ken Hundley »

Beautiful! How do you like the tulip wood? I am using some for a fingerboard I made for a macacuba jumbo (I know I know, Kevin, I haven't touched it in a year.....will be assembling the box this winter!). I haven't gone beyond slotting and sanding the board, but love the figure in it. Should work out real nice.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Very nice guitar Ken!
Slacker......
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

Thanks!
Ken Hundley wrote:Beautiful! How do you like the tulip wood? I am using some for a fingerboard I made for a macacuba jumbo (I know I know, Kevin, I haven't touched it in a year.....will be assembling the box this winter!). I haven't gone beyond slotting and sanding the board, but love the figure in it. Should work out real nice.
Ken, I use tulipwood a lot for backstrips, but I haven't used the wood for anything else. I really like the color variation. On a fingerboard, the colors will go off like a bomb! You should post a picture! Are you planning on finishing the fingerboard? The piece I used for the backstrip is banded by ebony and boxwood pins, which are mitered into the purfling running around the perimeter. Very hard to see in the pictures I posted.

Ken
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Yeah Ken H, if you don't hurry up with that Macauaba Jumbo, I will have mine built first. I started on the neck first on this one, but should be starting the box next week. I will start at thread when I have the assembly going.

Ken C, I had a lacewood set I sold because I was a little afraid of the flakyness of the wood.

Kevin
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

Kevin,

I have heard that lacewood makes a terrific tonewood. I'm not sure how much I would care for it though on an entire guitar. It is very coarse to work with, but isn't bad when polished up. I bound the f/b with it, so the to top edges of the f/b have exposed lacewood that is finely sanded and polished with 0000 steel wool. Seems quite smooth.

Ken
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

Ken C: The macacuba I am working on is a very pinkish, wild grain...I'm not convinced it is macacuba, but it is lovely wood just the same. Anyway, I fonud a very highly figured tulipwood peice that I thought would be a perfect complement. I'm tempted to make a bridge out of it too. I haven't decided if I was going to finish the fingerboard or not. I'm a pretty clean player, but maybe I will finish it with satin....not exactly sure yet.

Kev, I still have to finish the auction guitar (padauk) some geometry issues I should have worked out within a coupel of weeks...then refinish my sisters "Black Beauty", the spray-on tru-oil is the worst stuff ever...same stuff I used on the mango. Thats next....hoping to have those two finished before christmas. I need to build the neck for the macacuba, but have been thinking about making it a 12'er. I can change the bracing at this stage if I need to, but the 12 string neck I have isn't ideal for a cutaway....I may save it for a padauk 12'er jumbo, and make the cutaway follow the heel profile....haven't tried that yet. Please post pictures, and I have finally gotten a computer I can web edit functional again and regained access to the website, so I will be placing more pics up of my progress.

I also had a pickup manufacturer interested in some of the electrics I have started (but also haven't finished). He wants to collaborate on a couple....might be a fun opportunity to get noticed, but I need to really clean those up before even thinking about letting someone else have one.

Man, when am I gonna start my boat?

p.s. Interestingly enough, there are ALOT of guitar builders on that boat building forum! I've suggested they visit here.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Cool bindings on that boat. And the wedge down the middle of the upper bout is nice. Love the sound hole.
How's she sound? :)
Lotsa bass?
Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Honestly, though, I (in only a way that I could do it) can see some similarity. Degrees of complexity, different function, maybe not so much similarity, but enough for my wild head.
Tony'll stick .02 in on this, and can put mine in for me. He's a banker anyway :)
It really is pretty, almost as pretty as the guitar in this thread. I want one.
bobcef

Post by bobcef »

Beautiful guitar Ken. I like the leopard wood bindings and trim. Finish looks fantastic.
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

Thanks Bob. I'm sure something on the guitar came from your shop. Could be the ebony on the fingerboard, kerfing, bridge, or head plate. I have a number of items in my stash from RC Tonewoods!

I am really liking this guitar. It has really grown on me and will be tough to send off in a few weeks!

Ken
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I just have to ask
Hows the tap tune ?
Killer is this a "Bass" boat
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com