D28 ready for Finish

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
johnnparchem

D28 ready for Finish

Post by johnnparchem »

I routed off my first attempt at bindings and purflings and replaced them. The neck is set and the angle looks good (not glued), The inlays are in. The bridge is set (not glued). The entire guitar has been scraped and is ready for final sanding and finishing.

I am going to use zpoxy for the back, sides and neck, seal with shellac and fishish with KTM-SV. I will french polish the top. I am still not sure if I will use qualasol or just shellac.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: D28 ready for Finish

Post by tippie53 »

nice job
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

Looking good, John! Good luck with the finishing!

Ken
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Looking good, John.
I'm very interested in how your pore filling goes. Please let me know.
Bob
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Very nice thus far John. You are doing great work! Is it walnut?

Kevin
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Looking good John!

Kevin, if I remember right, it is Brazilian Rosewood.
Slacker......
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I am into my 3rd application of zpoxy on the backs and sides. Finally the back pores look filled, even after mostly level sanding the Zpoxy. I just put the 3rd coat on one of the sides, will finsih the other side tomorrow after the first side cures.
It took a couple times but I finally learned to recognize the tell tail bubbles that show more work is needed in an area. I used a plastic epoxy scrapper and a window washing squeegee. I used the plastic scrapper to smoosh the zpoxy in the pores I used both to take off the excess. Little by little I think I am getting the hang of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I am happy with the back and side pore fill, so I did a final scrape of the top, sanded the top across the grain "read that for spruce somewhere" and I brushed on 2 coats of shellac.
I also started to z-poxy the neck. I suspect it will take fewer coats (3 on back and sides) as the pores are not as large. I used my gloved fingers to apply the z-poxy.
I mixed up a new batch of shellac and will pad a seal coat or 2 on the back and sides before starting to brush on the KTM-SV (water based spar varnish)
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

That's a pretty back!