#2 complete

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: #2 complete

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Saweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
David L

Post by David L »

Nice work Kyle. Each guitar I build I try to do a little bit more of the work myself (fewer serviced parts).

David L
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

Thats my goal also. I feel confident on the body for the next one but think I'll order the neck and FB. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew on one project.
kyle
David L

Post by David L »

I'm pretty much tooled up to do everything except build my own necks (skill wise of course I fall short). I do plan to one day tackle that aspect of the process, but for now I'm OK with letting someone else handle that for me.

David L
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I believe you guys would find alot of satisfaction in making your own neck. Glue up some poplar to practice on. It is not as hard as it looks, but it does take some time. I've been cutting my tenons on the table saw with pretty good success making compound angle cuts which were easy to do. You can do the same thing with a hand saw. The mortise I put in the neck block before I glue it into the body, like the kits come. This has worked fine.
My next will be done using a jig and router....now that is something to be scared about.

Kevin
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

I would also like to make my own necks down the road. I was checking out Robert O'briens series on making the neck mortise/tenon jig and how to use it. Looks promising and something I will try eventually but you know the saying about having too many pokers in the fire.
kyle
kickngas

Post by kickngas »

Looks great! Your finish looks excellent, yet you say it is a weak point?? What finish/technique did you go with on this one?
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

the finsh is brushed on KTM-9 over Zpoxy. I am happy with the finish. But there is alot of room for improvement.I have two small spots where I sanded throgh the Zpoxy too far. Was not able to notice until several coats of finish had been applied. I was also nervous when sanding close to the binding because I didn't want to sand through the finish. Unfortunately there were some light sanding marks along one section on the back that I could not get out. They must have been from level sanding before the last session of brushing on finish. Things to definatly look for on the next go around.
kyle
Metalone72

Post by Metalone72 »

Dude, that is very nice! You should be proud.