Finished Saga Les Paul style kit

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
johnnparchem

Finished Saga Les Paul style kit

Post by johnnparchem »

I finished my LP build and gave it to my daughter. I changed the pickups from the kit to active EMG 81/85 pickup combo. Luckily the pickup combo had all new components as the one shipped with the kit were not very good. The guitar screams with the EMG 81/85 pickups. The bridge EMG 81 pickup treble strings have a real cutting rich tones that sustain forever even without distorsion.

Claire said she loved how the power cords sound on the EMG 85 neck pick up. Overall she was really happy with the sound. She likes it better than the strat that she has been playing with stock pickups. It is a bit heavy for her, but she knew that when she asked for it.

The finish work was all done with StewMac nitrocellulous rattle cans banished to the fathest corner of my yard, making sure each night I got it in before the temp hit the dew point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken C

Re: Finished Saga Les Paul style kit

Post by Ken C »

Congrats John! Must be great to have it strung up and see your girl shredding with it!

I see you also bursted the headstock. Were the burst colors done with rattle cans as well? If so, Stewmac appears to have some good colors. You don't show any pics of the back. How did you end up finishing that? I tried my best to get the cherry red found on the original 1959. Did you try to do the same?

These LP's are heavy buggers, no doubt. I think mine is actually coming in a tad lighter than my 57R. Does the Saga have a solid maple top or is veneered? The Bulldog body has maple veneer over basswood, which is probably why this one is a little lighter.

I got the electronics mostly soldered in on my LP a couple of days ago. I still need to add a capacitor and mount the jack, but I started getting pressure to get the OM done, so I spent last night making a nut, installing tuning machines, and reaming for bridge pins on the acoustic build. I still need to ramp the bridge pin holes and make the saddle but that shouldn't take too much time this evening. Hopefully tonight I can also get the last of the electronics buttoned up on the Les Paul and take it out for a test drive!

Ken
johnnparchem

Re: Finished Saga Les Paul style kit

Post by johnnparchem »

It was fun to see her play it. Of course I had an hour or so with it before she came home from school and took it.

I noticed that the reflection in the head stock was a near perfect match for the sunburst, I am not sure how that happened. The neck, headstock, rim and back are all black lacquer with bunches of clear coats. Looking at the picture in would be an interesting effect. I used all rattle cans. I was really happy with the Stewmac colors. I might get a polishing wheel to really get the back to shine. It looks OK now but it is just microsanded to 8000 grit and polished with plastic polish.

I have 4 cans of Cherry Red from stewmac and I had planned on using it instead of black but my daughter opted for the black. I think the cherry red they have is suppose to be close to the original.