The Jumbo for loud surroundings

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
Darryl Young

Re: The Jumbo for loud surroundings

Post by Darryl Young »

The silking on that top is awesome! One can rest assured it's perfectly quartersawn when you see that.

As for the jumbo size, is it comfortable to play? I've never played one.

My 000 has an oversized soundhole. I've not yet miked it but the oversized soundhole should help with the boominess.
Slacker......
darren

Post by darren »

Thanks for sharing Herman. Interesting to hear your logic towards reducing feedback. The snakewood on sapele is beautiful, as is the top. Don't worry about the side dots, they just look 'vintage' now. Is this a Martin jumbo shape?

edit - forgot to mention the sound ports are really cool..!
Darren
Herman

Post by Herman »

Darryl, The Jumbo feels like a D-size to me, but I'm no little guy. Yet there is no sign of boominess at all. But the body is about one inch lesser deep than the original. The adjustments seem to do the job I guess.

Thanks Darren, The size is Martin indeed. The sidedots look as 500 years vintaging. Since it is ment to be a beater in the groupsetting, it does not really bother me. Also the first chip of laquer on the edge is bumped off allready, you know. It will look vintage soon in the near future. Sometime someone is going to pay a pile of money for it, says my handpalmreader.
seanbig

Post by seanbig »

Herman,

I love the look of the three holed side sound port. Is the idea behind having a side sound port so the player can hear?
Sean Big
Sean@BiggerRoom.net
Bigger Room Productions - Web Design for any size project.

When You're Workin' on Somethin' Good
You're Gonna Need a Bigger Room
Herman

Post by Herman »

Sean, The idea came from several threads around here. Others who did the soundporthing reported a raised volume of the guitar and a better respond to the player. Since I'm into some experiments I thought I give it a try. But I'll be honest, I love the looks, the effects are hearable, but not overwhelming. No regrets over here though.
seanbig

Post by seanbig »

Herman,

I had seen a few guitars with the side sound port, but did not pay much attention as I thought I would never cut a hole in the side of a guitar I made; so I did not investigate further. After seeing what you have done stylistically with the three holes, I am now heavily considering giving something like this a chance because I like shallow guitars which tend to take some volume out of the guitar, at least on the bass end.

Also, I think your guitar is very striking, yet simple. Nothing overdone or wild. I am very impressed with it.

Did you cut the holes after bending and gluing up? I was thinking to get circles you might have to drill before bending.
Sean Big
Sean@BiggerRoom.net
Bigger Room Productions - Web Design for any size project.

When You're Workin' on Somethin' Good
You're Gonna Need a Bigger Room
Herman

Post by Herman »

Either way is ok I guess, Sean. I decided to go for it after the body was ready. As you say I just drilled some holes and made them to proportions with some round object with sandpaper around them.
Easy as it sounds. The toughest part for me is always the creative one. What to make? I'm no artist and being original is not easy. On the other hand, most of the things I have in mind I can realise.

Are we guitarmakers more of a craftsmen or does someone consider himself (Few women around here, we have to work on that, Sean) more of an artist?
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Transferring a pattern like a circle, or anything for that matter, to the side of the guitar for cutting is just a matter of drawing it out on paper, either by hand or printing on a computer, cutting it out and gluing it in place with some light spray adhesive.

You definitely don't want to cut the port before you bend the side. This will make bending difficult.

It's also a good idea to plan in advance so you can place a doubler on the inside where you plan to cut the port. you can get creative with lamination's and bindings that way.
My poorly maintained "Blog"
Herman

Post by Herman »

Promise is a promise, here is the soundsample. Played amplified though my AER Alpha with just a bit reverb.

It is a poor attempt to play Steve Hackett's Horizons. But hey, If I was a gifted player I probably would not be here, but standing in the Colloseum, playing one of your guitars.

http://www.hermanarendsenguitars.nl/mp3/loud.mp3
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Herman the guitar looks and sounds great. You really have a nice acoustic sound coming out of your pickup\mic. Do you have a photo of the installation of the pickup in the guitar?

John