#1 Finished...finally!

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
Kyle909

#1 Finished...finally!

Post by Kyle909 »

There were times where I thought I'd never actually make this post, but after almost 2 years persistence pays off!
This started as a SM dread kit to which I made some modifications:
Used a drum sander and took the top and back down to around .100" - was over .125 as delivered.
Used a forward bracing pattern and scalloped the braces a bit more.
Substituted curly maple for the binding, heel cap and end piece.
It's a bolt on but I removed the studs and used inserts/bolts instead.
Took a stab at doing some inlay.

I pore filled, but sent it to Joe White to spray the finish. And he did an absolutely superb job. Can't recommend him enough.

But the real surprise was how it sounds. I've owned many high end acoustics and right now have a Huss & Dalton, a Taylor, and an old Guild in the house, and this thing actually sounds better than all of them. Very deep, bell like resonance, but the highs are still there. Maybe all that time sitting on my workbench gave it a chance to mellow...lol. Seriously, I'll chalk it up as beginners luck.

I haven't been on the forum much lately but you guys were really helpful when I needed it.

Thanks
Kyle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kyle909

Re: #1 Finished...finally!

Post by Kyle909 »

1 more pic...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Wow! It is gorgeous.
mjmeehan

Post by mjmeehan »

That does look wonderful and I like the simple approach to the fretboard. What's the significance of the headstock inlay?
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Kyle, you did an excellent job. That's one killer inlay! Very, very well done.
And you're right about Joe White. I've seen some of his guitar finishes on some custom Stephen Kinnaird guitars and they rock.
Get to work on #2.
Super
Bob
Kyle909

Post by Kyle909 »

The headstock inlay is the Hindu Om symbol. Really no significance beyond the fact that I thought it would make a good headstock design... of the precut ones I was able to find. I looked into it later and read where it's believed that when you chant 'Om' you become attuned to cosmic vibration... or something like that. Sounds fittingly apropo to me.
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Where'd you find it?
Bob
Kyle909

Post by Kyle909 »

I ordered it from Andy Depaule. Check out his site, he has tons of inlays:

http://www.luthiersupply.com/
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Kyle, The guitar looks great! Really nice job!
Andy DePaule has some nice stuff and does even nicer custom work for great prices. I have gotten a couple of custom made pieces from him and the work is flawless. One of the inlays he made for me is on the old forum archives. I am too lazy to find it right now though. LOL
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Thanks for the pointer I gave Andy a call and purchased a some inlays for my builds.

John