Finally polished my first build LMI Classical

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
johnnparchem

Finally polished my first build LMI Classical

Post by johnnparchem »

Ken's post inspired me to do the final polish of my LMI classical kit and post the photos. I was waiting for the finish to fully cure before polishing. This is made from a serviced LMI classical kit with Indian Rosewood sides and back, Engelmann spruce top and spanish cedar neck.

I did a French Polish finish with a pumice/shellac fill on back, sides and neck.

It plays great and has really good base response and clear treble notes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: Finally polished my first build LMI Classical

Post by tippie53 »

Saweeeeet
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Really nice job, John.
How'd you find building a classical compared to a steel string?
Last edited by naccoachbob on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

naccoachbob wrote:Really nice job, John.
How'd you find building a classical compared to a 6-string?
I have not quite finished my first steel string, but so far the build process is basically the same except for the top geometry and the Spanish heel vs. the dovetail joint.
Generally with a classical guitar only the lower bout is domed (or so I've read); the upper bout from the bottom of the sound hole up is flat. I built a solera to build the classical top on with the correct geometries. I just used a 28' radius disk to build the steel string top, thus no need for the solera.
The classical neck is a lot easier to set. (but you only get one shot!). I built the solera so that I could easily line up the neck and clamp it down when gluing the top. When I had finished the classical guitar, I was impatient to hear it so I used the nut from my custom built classical and plastic saddle that came with bridge. With no adjustment the action was spot on. It was that easy to set.
I have just spent a long time on the steel string sanding a little here - there and back again getting the steel string dovetail properly set. Correct angle, centered and depth.

I am getting to point in my current build where I want to hear it play. I still have a few weeks before I will finish.

John
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

Very nice, John. Looks like you nailed the finish! Post a shot or two of the heel if you don't mind. Looks like you have some interesting stuff going on there.

Ken
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Ken C wrote:Very nice, John. Looks like you nailed the finish! Post a shot or two of the heel if you don't mind. Looks like you have some interesting stuff going on there.

Ken
Thanks,
I was hiding the heel :). The hardest part to finishing the classical guitar, which is fully assembled when finishing, are all of the right angles, neck to rim, fret board to top. I am looking forward to finishing the body of my steel string with all of those parts off!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

John,
She sure is Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty.
Nice job indeed.

Kevin