Where are all the completed guitars?

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
naccoachbob

Re: Where are all the completed guitars?

Post by naccoachbob »

I had a tragic error with my 2nd build. The router bit somehow slid down while cutting the routing channels for the binding. The bindings would have had to be twice as tall on the back edge to make it work. Steve Kinnaird thought I might could save it by cutting the sides down to where the error would be hidden, but that's a lot more than I'm able to do. I tried to save the top and back, but couldn't with the top. It broke my heart.
But Ken sent me another set of sides, and although I used the same mold setup, the top would not fit correctly without straining the sides by pushing them in. He's sending another top with the same rosette, and graciously is including a few purflings for the back, which it seems will have no problem fitting.
Either the collet was cracked, or I didn't tighten it enough. It was a Bosch Colt, and most folks have good luck with those. Either way, it set me back. However, I do have a bit more experience putting sides together, and will have a good shot at making the top even better than it was.
Lesson learned: go slow, check often, go slower, check more.
Almost everything else is ready to go. I can clean up the sides a good bit, as well as the back, and have everything ready to glue the top on and get ready to start finishing.
Will post when it gets going again.
Bob
John S

Post by John S »

Well, I think I finished the wood work and pore filling on my parlor about 6 months ago and am just now getting around to putting on the finish. The delay has been due to the fact that I wanted to spray this one, but really wasn't set up to do it anywhere but outside. I'm spraying EM6000, and Kathy M. seems to have had good luck using that outdoors. She, however, lives in Northern California and I'm in Cincinnati. Waiting for suitable outdoor conditions here puts me on a pace of about 3 coats/year. So I bit the bullet this weekend and put together a knock down spray booth in my basement and am having at it. I'm using Ken C's schedule for EM6000, and if I can manage anything close to what he gets I'll be a happy camper. There is the issue of my spraying skills, but I guess that's why God gave us sandpaper. :D

John
mjmeehan

Post by mjmeehan »

Here's a few to whet your appetite...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.