First from Scratch Build

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
scamp

First from Scratch Build

Post by scamp »

Just completed my first from scratch guitar build. Still need to finish it but I thought it would be good to post some photos of how it came out so far since over the past year I have been pestering members with questions of all kinds and the feedback has been invaluable. Thought it would be good to let the good people who helped me see what happened.

This guitar is my second guitar. The first was an OM kit from Blues Creek Guitars. This guitar is a OOO- 12 fret guitar that I built more or less from scratch. The guitar has cocobolo back and sides, European bear claw spruce top. One piece mahogany neck, ebony fret board, ebony with turquois stained veneered bindings, black and turquois stained veneer purfling, ebony headstock veneer and cocobolo random pieces for the tail and rosette. It has abalone fret dots and headstock inlay and clay fret board side dots in turquoise to match the bindings/purfling.
The basic look was inspired by a guitar featured on Jeff Jewett's custom guitar web site.

So here it is. Let me know if you have any questions. Just an FYI. Did run into some problems that I was able to get out of. A few minor cracks in the top bout during the bending process. Was able to stabilize with CA glue and basically can't see. Also, sanded through some of the veneer in the tail piece that I needed to remove and replace. No build, it seems, doesn't have these kind of problems.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scamp

Re: First from Scratch Build

Post by scamp »

More Photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by scamp on Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Wow - that was an ambitious project, and you pulled it off beautifully!
John Reid

Post by John Reid »

Beautiful! Love that rosette and end wedge.
scamp

Post by scamp »

Thanks. Half way through I thought I bit off more than I could chew but I kept my head down and it worked out. I definitely learned a lot.

Just realized I forgot to put up a picture of the whole guitar. Here it is plus a few more.
Last edited by scamp on Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Wonderfully done!!!