LMI Method French Polish Results

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
PSmill

LMI Method French Polish Results

Post by PSmill »

Hi, Thought I'd share this experiment I did using the LMI instructions. I found the method to be pretty good, it involves less polishing and more levelling and curing that what I tried before. It seemed quite efficient, although the finish was thin I would do more bodying sessions to build it a bit more. I finished with the rottenstone final polish which didn't take long and got the results pictured here. I got a similar result from just polishing before, but it too way more sessions. This is on a practice spruce top sanded to 400, it's not really this orange in hue, just the photo came out that way.

https://www.lmii.com/blog/2017/10/07/fr ... sh-finish/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BEJ

Re: LMI Method French Polish Results

Post by BEJ »

Good post thanks, the method is very much like a Fine Woodworking article by master refinisher the late George Frank (issue #58 May/Jun '86.) He has a much better story to go long with why each step and material is needed and done. He explains what to do and what not to do and why better than anything I've see else where. The guy was not only a great finisher but a great writer/story teller.
PSmill

Re: LMI Method French Polish Results

Post by PSmill »

I'll try and find that thanks!