bubinga dred

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
tippie53

bubinga dred

Post by tippie53 »

Bill Zajack was here for a class a number of years ago. Any way he had this guitar and never finished it. So he asked me if I would.
Bubinga back and sides bear claw sitka spruce bloodwood bindings

I find that the seal and finish went well. I use my Mowhawk fininsh products and Aqua coat from LMI. My typical finish was 50 50 of thinner and retarder
The seal coats were vinyl sealer. I used about 10% retarder. 3 coats leveled after 2 coats with 320 a single coat leveled with 400
Then I applied aqua coat ( 3 coats ) using a vinyl glove. I would rub in on and after a few minutes I could rub in smooth with my fingers. The most difficult area is usually the back of the head stock.
Once dry I level sanded with 400 grit
allowed to set over night and applied 4 coats nitro using a semi pro fuji 2 with a 1.0 needle.
The rotisserie works like a dream no runs no drips . Before I sprayed I wipe down with Naphtha and then mineral spirits. My first coats are 50 50 thinner and finish and then I may change depending on RH and temp. After 4 coats I have a nice coverage. This is about ready for level sanding
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
tippie53

Re: bubinga dred

Post by tippie53 »

later this week I will start the level sanding process. I use a festool sander #125 . I found paper that is designed to be used on finishes from Klingspoor and it made a big difference in the process. I start with 600 then 800 then 1000 1500 2000 2500 3000
if during this process I see I sand through I will hit another 3 coats with a 2 week curing time.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Billinflorida

Post by Billinflorida »

John, I love what you are doing to my guitar and the pics and write-up is icing on the cake. I can't wait to see the finished product. I remember it was you who suggested Babinga and I am really glad I chose it. Little did I know then just how cool those pieces you had would look like on the guitar. Babinga is perfect for an acoustic guitar, and aging the wood like I did will make the voice even better. The wavy pattern is a real eye catcher here and the bear claw spruce top is such a nice touch. Bill Zajac
Rag Thumb

Post by Rag Thumb »

John, that rotisserie setup looks sweet! I notice you have set the table up as a downdraft too. Very nice. Unfortunately I could never get away with any kind of exhaust fan where I live.

All of your trials on different finishing techniques are greatly appreciated.
------------

Rex