Finish Max HomeRight Sprayer

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Selah

Finish Max HomeRight Sprayer

Post by Selah »

Has anyone used a Finish Max HomeRight sprayer to apply nitro finish? I have this sprayer and have used it on my wood working projects spraying water based Poly Acrylic finish with great success.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: Finish Max HomeRight Sprayer

Post by tippie53 »

never have but no reason not to try it. Spray some cardboard and see how it lays out
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Selah

Post by Selah »

I used the sprayer to place shellac (premixed) and nitrocellulose lacquer. It did a great job. I don’t know how it compares to the air sprayers as I do not have one, but I think it did a very respectable job. I’ve included a few photos of the final product.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Selah

Post by Selah »

I have to post an update. After sanding the finish, I realized it just did an pretty good job with the spray, but my next project I will use a “real” sprayer hooked to an air compressor. It will give me the finer control of the spray that I need for a great finish.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

you may have missed some things
did you not thin and use retarder?
did you seal and fill

if you don't do good prep you won't get a good end result. Looks like you would do well

finish is about technique so
seal
fill
seal
use thinner and retarder
I do a 60 40 mix of the first 2 coats than do 65 35
my tinner is 1/3 retarder 2/3 thinner.
you can mix 70 30 .

I spray about 6 coats hr apart let set after a few days level sand. I may do 3 finish coats 50 50 then level sand buff and polish

it takes time to do a good lacquer finish
please let us know your details in the finish process and we can see if you need some advice
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Selah

Post by Selah »

I followed Stewmac’s finishing book. I sprayed shellac, filled, and then sprayed three coats of lacquer about an hour apart on day one, three, and five. I level sanded on days two and four. After a week, I wet sanded for smoothness using 800, 100, 1200, 2000, 2500. I then buffed. The end result was pretty good, but I have a couple places where I sanded a little too thin and got to bare wood I fixed them, but didn’t get the same color. I think one place where water got in. They are all small, so I probably will just ignore it.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

what brand lacquer ?
I prefer the sanding sealer of vinyl sealer . They build better.

what filler ?

I think your sprayer will do fine

you may need to do a thinner retarder in your mix.

what size needle do you have in the sprayer?
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Selah

Post by Selah »

I used the guitar lacquer and filler from StewMac. I used a bullseye shellac that was premixed from Lowe’s. I tested the premixed shellac before using to make sure it was “fresh” and it did well. My order was shellac, filler, lacquer ... nine coats of lacquer.

The gun has no needle choices. The air output from the gun is always the same. It only has the ability to vary the amount of lacquer. I had it turned down so it sprayer very little at a time so I was putting in thin coats. It did alright at the beginning, but it got worse as time went on. I decided to use a “normal” air sprayer the next time.
Selah

Post by Selah »

I just completed refinishing my guitar with the Stewmac spray gun. The finish is a lot smoother and I’m a lot more impressed with the finish. Comparing the Stewmac spray gun to the HomeRight Sprayer ... the Stewmac sprayer does a MUCH BETTER job!
krrtlr1

Post by krrtlr1 »

Good info. Anything special for your compressor or lines for keeping air dry?
Res Firma Mitescere Nescit