Months later little bubbles in the nitro finish??

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Kevin Sjostrand

Months later little bubbles in the nitro finish??

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Ken Cierp and John,
I know you guys have lots of experience, and you Ken especially with Deft Nitro Lacquer. I have a question.
I am seeing little bubbles....they look to be under the final finish layers, showing up in the finish months later. It is not all over the guitars, but in areas. I would have to say that these were sprayed when the temperature was probably at least 90 degrees and perhaps a little higher. I used rattle cans. Spraying done in Aug, Sept months. Usually about 4 to 5 coats (fairly thin) per day, with at least a full day inbetween applications.
Any ideas? I am quite sure these bubbles were not there in the first month as I waited for it to cure and do the final sanding and buffing.

Thanks for your help and input...if I'm doing something wrong, I want to change it. By the way, the humidity would have been around 30% that time of year here.

Kevin
kencierp

Re: Months later little bubbles in the nitro finish??

Post by kencierp »

If possible a picture or two -- my first thought is a compatibility problem. This is Deft, if I recall over epoxy glue right? I'd contact the Deft tech support -- seems the Deft is lifting. One or the other products could have reacted and is/was gassing under the surface -- of course just speculation. I've never seen anything like this description.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I'll try and get a photo, don't know if I can catch it up close. Perhaps bubbles is not the best description. I am thinking this is happening as the lacquer has shrunk/cured over time.
A pictures will say a thousand words, so I'll see if I can get that show it.

Kevin
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I used deft in my early days but once I switched to Behlens and Mohawk lacquers I never looked back. I think this is a better product , It is designed for stringed instruments . Butyl acetate and thinner allows a good even flow and less sanding .
Again and I say this with all honesty , Finishing isn't as much about the product used as it is about prep and technique. I also use Shirwinn Williams . It isn't so much what you put on but what you let on .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com