Recommended Pore Filler for Nitro on Rosewood?

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
B. Howard

Re: Recommended Pore Filler for Nitro on Rosewood?

Post by B. Howard »

Pore-o-pac would be a good choice. I always sandwich my pore fillers between coats of sealer.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I use Pore o Paw and use the vinyl sealer. I use mowhawk and Behlens products
Jasco is also pretty good.

I use natural so I can custom color the filler. I use Minwax stain ( the mineral spirit base ) works well with the Pore o paq. If you are trying to do a martin style color I use
1 special Walnut from minwas
2 Dark walnut
I apply this with a brush but have used old credit cards. I allow the filler to flash then start to rub it into the wood. I will examine it very close and look for missed grain pockets. If it looks good I do it one more time.

a few drops of each into about 3 tablespoons of filler and work this up with a plastic fork to get a mix similar to Hersheys syrup. Then I add a few drops of Naphtha into this to aid flashing. I do a side then the back. I will often stain the wood first then hit a coat of sealer. Then I do the filling and hit another coat of sealer .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

mike288 wrote:
B. Howard wrote:Pore-o-pac would be a good choice. I always sandwich my pore fillers between coats of sealer.
Hey Brian, what sealer do you use, and how many coats do you use between the pore filler?
You should use the sealer that is recommended for under the finish you are using.

I use one wet coat under and one over the filler.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

mike288 wrote:Hi All,

Getting to the end of my build, and I'm wondering what type of pore filler I should use on my Indian Rosewood. I'm leaning towards Behlen Pore-O-Pac, since I'm doing a nitro finish. I'm wondering what you all think? Also, am I correct in not sealing the guitar before I use pore filler since I'm using nitro?
Thanks-
Mike
Hey Mike, what did you end up using for your filler and sealer and how it it come out?
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

mike288 wrote:.... I'm wondering what type of pore filler I should use on my Indian Rosewood. I'm leaning towards Behlen Pore-O-Pac, since I'm doing a nitro finish. I'm wondering what you all think? Also, am I correct in not sealing the guitar before I use pore filler since I'm using nitro?
Thanks-
Mike
Behlen Stringed Instrument Lacquer is very specific saying you MUST apply the Nitro over a (their) vinyl sealer, I'm a believer.

You could apply Pore-OPac over or under the vinyl sealer, there are advantages to both depending on your method of work. Vinyl Sealer will also partially fill the grain.

Take note that if you don't seal first, then apply a tinted Pore filler, the filler will tint the entire wood surface, not just the grain. Do a sample on a like wood with and without sealer and you'll quickly see what that means.
Measure Twice,

Karl B