Minwax satin lacquer finish schedule

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
phavriluk

Minwax satin lacquer finish schedule

Post by phavriluk »

Just used Minwax rattle-can satin on a cherry neck. The neck was sealed with three applications of finishing resin, the first two squeegeed on, scraped and sanded back. The third application was a padded coat to mostly make sure that the sealing resin was on everything. And sanded with 220, and for the sake of education, a pass with 320. Today I applied two coats, a couple of hours apart, on the neck. Wonderfully smooth. Rosewood headstock needs much more applied and sanded to fill all the pores.

Question of the day from someone who is not a woodworker: How many applications, sanded between, are needed? I realize enough to fill the pores and provide a level surface, yet my cherry neck is starting to look nice after two passes with the can. This stuff is a dream to apply. Earlier John mentioned in another thread that he used two cans of satin clear on a neck. I need education as to how we get to two cans and I'm getting to a good start after two coats. Two cans on a neck is something I can't process. I'm sure I need some education about finish, and I'm mystified.

Thanks very much.
peter havriluk