Tru Oil touch-up

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Danl8

Tru Oil touch-up

Post by Danl8 »

My stewmac treble machine busted (swaged post on the plate holding the spiral gear thing) on my favorite player, a 000-15SH style that I assembled in 2015. After looking at the pictures, Stewmac had a replacement to me in two days. Since the finish was rough on the neck from use, I decided to fix that, too. I think the truoil finish was thin on the neck, but I thought it would be pretty tough and stand up to use. After sanding with 220-400 fine paper, I started building up the finish twice a day with daily sanding with 800 and 1000 fine paper. A week later the finish is as good as the nitro on my Sequoia 00 posted elsewhere here on the forum. I'm so happy with this, I'm holding on to drying oil as a finish option. The picture almost shows the quality of the film, but not quite.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Tru Oil touch-up

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Did you polish beyond 1000 grit?

Ed
Ed M
Danl8

Re: Tru Oil touch-up

Post by Danl8 »

Hi Ed,
No, the last coat leveled and dried smooth as glass. I thought of polishing with lens polish, but that just would be gilding the lily.
-d.