AQUA COAT Pore Filler

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Kbore

AQUA COAT Pore Filler

Post by Kbore »

Is the AQUA COAT Clear Wood Grain & Pore Filler, conspicuously listed in the Behlen stringed instrument finish section normally compatible under the Behlen vinyl sealer and stringed instrument lacquer ? I know, do a test panel - but I can't accelerate a test panel by 25 years to test long term compatibility of AQUA COAT Filler with Behlen sealer and STringed instrument lacquer. Neither the Jeff Jewet or Erlywine texts address this question.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Diane Kauffmds

Re: AQUA COAT Pore Filler

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've used Aqua Coat exclusively, for pore filling. Although I French polish all of the boxes with shellac, I finish all of my necks with oil based, hand rubbed polyurethane, because of the abuse they take. I've used Aqua Coat under the poly and it works great.

If you want to make 100 percent sure, I'd call aqua coat at  1-877-886-2422

I don't know if you've used Aqua before, but be prepared to use more coats than stated on the label, esp. on rosewood and other large pore woods.. Also, it's been my experience that it needs a much longer dry time than stated. I keep my workshop at ~ 47% RH, but an overnight dry time is needed, otherwise it'll leave a white residue in some pores after sanding, even though it looks dry and clear.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com