Huck Cloth

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Diane Kauffmds

Huck Cloth

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've been using old t shirts to French polish, but they stretch and tiny bits of lint comes off, even though their t-shirt knit. I was trying to think if an alternate, when I remembered huck cloth drapes in medical school.

Huck cloth is cotton that is double woven. It makes it strong and firm, but not so firm as to ruin the cotton qualities that we need. I cut a piece and have been usng it to fp for over 2 hours now.

There is no stretch, so it has a nice smooth bottom, plus there is no lint whatsoever, even though the edges look ragged. Easily washable and sturdy.

Prewash them first on a quick load to remove mfg sizing. Do not use fabric softener. They're nice large towels.

Best price: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01231D2 ... UTF8&psc=1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Danl8

Re: Huck Cloth

Post by Danl8 »

Thanks, Diane. Looks useful for more than just French polishing. Have you tried or had any success with linen or oxford cloth?

-d.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Huck Cloth

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Danl8 wrote:Thanks, Diane. Looks useful for more than just French polishing. Have you tried or had any success with linen or oxford cloth?

-d.
Ive tried both will unravel, leaving tiny pieces in your work. I'm a sewer, so I have a huge fabric stash. Huck is double woven, so although you may see some ragged edges, nothing comes off. So far, it's my choice.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com