Outsourcing the finish

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Cbstark46143

Outsourcing the finish

Post by Cbstark46143 »

I recently read that John outsources his finish work.......OMG......lightbulb moment!
I've struggled to acheive an acceptable finish in the humidity of Florida and am yet to be 100% satisfied with my results. I've done rattle can lacquer in a low humidity booth and also tried Tru-Oil with ok results.
With this in mind, I've located a local finish shop that will apply 12 coats hand rubbed full gloss for $300.00 with sanding in between every 3 coats.
So what I'd like to know is this a reasonable charge for the work done? I'm leaning toward yes due to my inability to acheive a finish I'm comfortable with.
I'd love to hear comments from John as to how this compares to what he pays for similar work.
So, forum members. What are your thoughts?
B. Howard

Re: Outsourcing the finish

Post by B. Howard »

That's about 25% below what I charge to finish a guitar in clearcoat. Curious if that includes pore fill?
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I found a local car painter (works in a repair shop, does repairs and painting) who also builds electric guitars in his shop. He does lacquer for me for $150 an instrument, including this black one:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby1638/ ... 344222304/

no pore fill so I usually do that and a coat of shellac before I give it to him. Look around and no telling who you can find

Ed
Ed M
Cbstark46143

Post by Cbstark46143 »

I'm sure the pore fill is my responsibility.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Yes I have be out sourcing finish as it is more productive for me and cheaper as I don't need a spray booth or the insurance that follows that
I only loose a few hours to drop off instead of days of shop time
My finish guy does my pore fill and buffing
I provide the body in the white and mask off the areas I want as the extension etc.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Dan Bombliss

Post by Dan Bombliss »

I had sent some projects off to Southbound Custom in Nashville. His 2k poly was a VERY high gloss nice finish and was considerably cheaper than nitro. However, Poly has a tendency of looking a bit tacky at times, on the contrary nitro always looks natural.

I was happy with Steven's work.
jamoat52

Post by jamoat52 »

Dan Bombliss wrote:I had sent some projects off to Southbound Custom in Nashville. His 2k poly was a VERY high gloss nice finish and was considerably cheaper than nitro. However, Poly has a tendency of looking a bit tacky at times, on the contrary nitro always looks natural.

I was happy with Steven's work.
Dan
To take off a bit of the "tacky look" (too glossy?) try lightly scuffing with 0000 steel wool then giving it a light buffing with extra fine rouge on a wheel. Results tend to be very lacquer like IMO.
George
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

finish is one of the hardest parts for sure took me about 14 guitars to nail it
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

mike288 wrote:I tried failed so miserably at the Stew Mac rattle can nitro. I followed directions to a T. Applied 7 coats very lightly. It checked! Sanded guitar down to bare wood, it Checked again! I must have spent more than $100 on the stuff.
Hey Mike,
I was planning a StewMac rattle finish too. Ever find out what made your lacquer check? Was temp and humidity a factor?
Measure Twice,

Karl B
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

overthinking? For folks trying to make their peace with rattle-can nitrocellulose lacquer, I suggest buying some Deft rattle cans at their hardware store and seeing what they can do with them. I finished a guitar - - - my first finish on my own, with Deft satin rattle-cans - - - and I was much pleased with the results. And that was nearly two years ago. But I am speaking only for myself and out of my own experience, so someone else's results may differ and their expectations will not be the same as mine. But I found happy results in a Deft can (after sealing with z-poxy).
peter havriluk