Polyurethane finish

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
nehsgolfer

Polyurethane finish

Post by nehsgolfer »

I used to refinish wooden golf clubs and I sprayed them with deft polyurethane and they came out looking great. Just wondering if that would be good for finishing guitars.
Last edited by nehsgolfer on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darryl Young

Re: Polyurethane finish

Post by Darryl Young »

Refinishing a guitar?......as in spraying poly over lacquer? I don't think this would be ideal.

You can finish with polyurethane and it's a stable finish that is durable. The downside is it isn't as repairable as a lacquer finish so if the finish gets damaged, you might have to sand/remove the finish from the entire surface (whole top/back etc.) and re-spray a new finish where you could spray new lacquer on top of old lacquer and it will burn in.
Slacker......
nehsgolfer

Post by nehsgolfer »

Can I drop fill a polyurethane finish using nitro? I tried and it didn't turn out well at all. Can I drop fill polyurethane at all??
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

nehsgolfer wrote:Can I drop fill a polyurethane finish using nitro? I tried and it didn't turn out well at all. Can I drop fill polyurethane at all??
Using nitro? not going to work very well as you have found. Typical drop fill for a poly finish is done with CA.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com