Question for Emtech 6000 users.

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Ken C

Re: Question for Emtech 6000 users.

Post by Ken C »

I have found that 320G removes a lot of material. I use good quality sterated paper with a nice sanding block, which will level even the worst of application mistakes fairly quickly. Once the finish is level, you won't need coarse grits to level and 600G is enough to remove dust nibs and clean up other surface imperfections.

There have been a lot of questions on finish technique, I am thinking of taking some fotos and documenting the process when I spray the spalted mango. But that won't be for another couple of months.

Ken
Ken Hundley

Re: Question for Emtech 6000 users.

Post by Ken Hundley »

I agree with everying above. I will say that I use an orbital pad with 3M rubbing compound....can be used after 1000 grit or 2000. Buff with that for a while, and then use Fender Swirl and Haze remover (a Meguiars product), then Meguiars #10 clear plastic polish, #17 mirror glaze, Fender Swirl & Haze remover. I'll either do it by hand or not, depending on if the garage is too cold.

I have also used 1000 wet with a little dishsoap to level sand. Takes awhile, but you go slow, press lightly. I have a small 3" orbital detail sander, works great. I have several of the sandign pads, so when I feel I am close, or working near the edge, I'll use one by hand instead. This seems to work very well for me on the Emtech 6000. It does not buff out and flow like KTM-9 will.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan