Scratches in shellac

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
MaineGeezer

Re: Scratches in shellac

Post by MaineGeezer »

That's probably true, although I think it may be possible to blend it in enough so that nobody but you notices it. But it's difficult.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Since the neck is off and the bridge is taped, frankly it would be simpler to sand the top down and french polish again. I've done the repair and it takes about as long to do a repair, as it does to redo the whole top, because you don't have to worry about evening up the finish. I only did the repair because the guitar was done and I didn't want to be forced to french polish with the bridge and neck in place.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
John J

Post by John J »

I think it's going to be ok. I started sanding down with the intention of doing the entire top. But I realized that I might be able to do the one side and blend at the lighter center section. I put a couple of passes with the seal lack and it looks pretty good. Still have a tough time around the bridge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learning every day.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

That does look good. I think you've found your solution.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Remember, however it turns out, unless it's truly conspicuously bad, everyone else will think it's supposed to look that way.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion