Suggested Finish for a First time builder?

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
rcnewcomb

Re: Suggested Finish for a First time builder?

Post by rcnewcomb »

I went with traditional French Polish on my first. I learned much about patience, starting over, and frustration. It took a hideously long time. But I am very happy with the results. I have decided to try a technique for using non-dewaxed shellac taught by Mr. Howard on my next guitar.

I'm not yet ready to explore the world of sprayed, buffed finishes. FP is really nice, and the process is sort of meditative (as well as non-toxic). I value the kind of skill it takes to apply FP, and hope to become good at it.
I had a woodworking business for 5 years and have sprayed a lot of lacquer. However, I went with French Polish on my first build under the guidance of an experienced builder. I was pleased enough with both the process and the end result that I doubt I will use sprayed finishes for future instrument building. I found the process very soothing and really love the sound of the instrument.

Here's another vote for French Polish.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I used French polishing on my first guitar. Even though I had a lot of trouble (see blog "A more-or-less copy of a Martin OM" for some of the gory details), I think I'll use it on my second guitar as well. I can do it without a spray gun, spray booth, or any other elaborate equipment. Others seem to have great success with spray cans; I have never been able to spray anything to my satisfaction in my life wit a spray can, spray gun, or otherwise, so I doubt I'd do well on a guitar, something with even higher finish standards than ordinary stuff.
Tru-Oil does produce a nice finish, and it's easy to apply. I haven't used it on a guitar, but I have used it on other projects.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I tried french polish, but I didn't know to use oil, so I had problems. I really wanted shellac on the body, to bring out the fantastic figure in the Peruvian Walnut on the OM. Also, shellac and lacquer are considered the best acoustically. I used a method that I found on the internet, which if you're interested, is in my Peruvian Walnut OM Blog. I used shellac on the body, and wipe on satin polyurethane on the neck, since shellac would quickly wear on the neck.

I french polished my Cherry/White Spruce 00 box and this time I used mineral oil to keep the pad from sticking, so I could really polish the shellac hard. It turned out fantastic and wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought. I did 3 sessions per day and averaged 3 coats per session. I still used wipe on polyurethane on the neck.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com