French Polish Question

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
johnnparchem

Re: French Polish Question

Post by johnnparchem »

Lots of them will work if properly applied. I personally like clear pore fillers and generally use Z-POXY FINISHING RESIN P40 an epoxy based pore filler. It has a slight amber tone. I also use a West Systems epoxy (105 Epoxy Resin - 207 Special Clear Hardener). It does not have the Amber tone. You can find application videos on youtube Todd Stock has a good set of videos. I have also used Aqua Coat Clear Wood Grain. It is easier to apply and a good choice.

You can use opaque fillers like Pore-0-Pac but use a very dark one, I would use black, or the Rosewood will look muddy.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I used this stuff http://www.lmii.com/products/finishing/ ... ear-filler with reasonably good results.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I used the Aqua Coat as well and was very happy with it.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Oldsoldier

Post by Oldsoldier »

I have my channels cut and ready to install the bindings and purfling. I plan to use the Aqua Coat Clear grain filler. Should I apply the filler before or after the bindings and purfling are installed?
Oldsoldier

Post by Oldsoldier »

I have my channels cut and ready to install the bindings and purfling. I plan to use the Aqua Coat Clear grain filler. Should I apply the filler before or after the bindings and purfling are installed?
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Oldsoldier wrote:I have my channels cut and ready to install the bindings and purfling. I plan to use the Aqua Coat Clear grain filler. Should I apply the filler before or after the bindings and purfling are installed?
After. It'll interfere with some forms of glue. It'll fill any voids in the purfling, etc. Plus, depending on your choice of binding, it'll fill the binding as well. If you used ivoroid, just wipe it off while it's wet, or just gently sand it. Besides, even the ivoroid will be covered by your selected form of finish.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Oldsoldier

Post by Oldsoldier »

Thanks again. I was thinking along those lines but wanted some assurance that it was the right thing to do.