Collings Western Shade

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
kelley71

Collings Western Shade

Post by kelley71 »

Hello all,

I found a shade pattern that I think would look good on this torrefied spruce. Does anyone or Mr. Brian, can you comment on this process? Is it shading amber and keeping spraying Amber on the edge to darken or is this a different color? I will be buying some poster boards to practice. It the rattle can Behlens I have sprays too much volume with too narrow of a fan. I feel with my Iwata I can get a much more controlled feed.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated,

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: Collings Western Shade

Post by tippie53 »

there are any number of ways to shade a top. One is with stain and finish on top. you can practice on some plain spruce. As for spray finish you use a tint and work the layers up. I start with a lighter tone and do the top then a slightly darker tone allowing the center untouched A paper plate staples to a paint stick works great for this then the darker shade to the outside.
I do a sealer first then 2 coats of clear then the toner. That way I know I can sand off and redo , and to feather the edges I will wet sand them to get a nice feathering so the colors look blended.
It is something you need to do a few times to get the feel for.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com