What Is Your Drop Fill Procedure?

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Darryl Young

Re: What Is Your Drop Fill Procedure?

Post by Darryl Young »

If I understood correctly, it sounds like you use the bottle to place the drops on the finish where needed. I didn't know what to use so I dipped the tip of my nitrile gloved finger in the finish, wiped most of the finish off on the rim of the can, and located the drops with my finger. IT worked ok but I assumed there was a more sophisticated method. Sounds like it's not a big deal though as long as the drops are in the correct location.

I had missed (or didn't quite get filled) a couple of places on the soundboard.......on the binding and on the rosette. I drop filled them yesterday after level sanding with P1000 the previous day. Today I will level the drop fill with P1000 then polish with P2000 Abralon pads. Yesterday, I polished the back and sides with the P2000 Abralon pad and it looks nice and feels great.

Any tips on determining when you have finished polishing with the next higher grit? I want to ensure I'm not missing any spots. I've checked with a bright light from the side. One guy recommended I use a Sharpie and mark a grid on the finish and sand with the next higher grit till the marker disappears. I just couldn't make myself draw on my guitar with a permanent marker.......but it sounded like a good idea.
Slacker......
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Tony_in_NYC wrote:Yes. This is information you could have used a little while ago.
However, I think there is a way to get the EM6000 to burn in after it has dried. I remember reading something about scuffing and denatured alcohol. I am sure the guy at Target Coatings can help.
Ding, ding, ding ding! I think we have a winner here. I believe it's after 24-48 hours one must resort back to that.
Tim Benware
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

The alcohol rub will help the next coat "stick" but the question (to me is) can you drop fill with WB and not have "witness" lines around the repair. Nitro lacquer actually "melts into" the previous coat. In reallity a nitro finish is "one thick coat" since all the layer blend.
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

That's why I like nitro.
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Tony_in_NYC wrote:Yes. This is information you could have used a little while ago.
However, I think there is a way to get the EM6000 to burn in after it has dried. I remember reading something about scuffing and denatured alcohol. I am sure the guy at Target Coatings can help.
I remember seeing this in a thread here also. Someone wiped the guitar with alcohol, then put on some more clear coat. It was like maybe it "melted" the previous coats.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I am a nitro guy also but it is illegal in California . It has it hazards for sure but along with the repairability the acoustic footprint is very low .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Tarhead

Post by Tarhead »

Here's how Dan Erlewine at Stew-Mac drop fills:
With CA: http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0000.html
With Lacquer: http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0040.html
With dyed hot Hide Glue: http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0064.html
dandenson

Post by dandenson »

For me, EM6000 burns in like nitro even after a week between coats. Without leaving a witness line.

However, it shrinks considerably more than other finishes; so i don't think you can thicken it by evaporation easily. I use thick CA glue to drop fill over EM6000.

I do my drop filling before the final coat. Since EM6000 and CA are both water-clear, the repairs have been pretty much invisible.

Good Luck,
Dan
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

I have had good results scuffing it, then dropping a little denatured or isoprpyl alcohol on it. The finish becomes tacky, and blends nicely with a fresh drop of the same finish. Allow to cure for a day, it polishes perfectly, no witness marks left behind.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Bruce Dow

Post by Bruce Dow »

Just reporting back to thank everyone for the input on drop filling with EM6000.

I haven't tried the CA trick yet, but I'll have plenty of opportunity to do that in the future. (plus, I was trying to do this drop filling without requiring another full spray coat, because I am down to my last few ounces of EM6000)

I buffed out the neck and headstock tonight and the finish looks great. The fills (and a little patch to repair a sand-thru on the corner of the headstock) are completely invisible.

This is amazing!!!

I have learned a lot from you guys. #3 will be far from perfect, but will be much more presentable than #1 and #2. (I may even go back and re-finish #1 and #2 with what I have learned)

PS... Apologies for taking over and diverting the original thread on drop filling.