Sprayed My Build Using KTM-SV

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Darryl Young

Sprayed My Build Using KTM-SV

Post by Darryl Young »

I was ready and the weather finally cooperated so I sprayed the first coats on the EIR OM I'm building. Sprayed 4 coats yesterday, level sanded this morning with P800, then sprayed 3 more coates today. I sprayed the first coat much too thick and got a run on the top and sags in the waist area of each side.....bummer. Took considerable sanding with the P800 Carborundum Premiere Red Dri-Lube paper but I finally got everything level.

Built a llittle stand using Ken Cierps idea (posted on here somewhere) to hold the guitar while spraying and allow me to rotate it. You can see it in the pic below. Took me a bit to get the gun adjusted where everything sprayed nice........coat 1 much too heave, coat 2 perfect, coat 3 too lite, coat 4 about right. Coats 5, 6, and 7 today all went very good.

Here are a couple of pics.

Body drying in the spare batchroom before the final coat:
P1010097.JPG
About to spray the last coat out on the back porch:
P1010101.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slacker......
deadedith

Re: Sprayed My Build Using KTM-SV

Post by deadedith »

Lookin' GOOD!
DaveB
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Darryl, The guitar looks great! It is good to hear you got the spraying down.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

You may get better advice from someone more experienced but I have a Walcom EGO spray gun with a 1.2mm tip.
Last edited by Darryl Young on Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slacker......
kickngas

Post by kickngas »

Thanks, how about your compressor setup? Just trying to get an idea of what I will need when I get to the finishing step.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

There are several complete HVLP spray systems available for around $100 !!! They are just about perfect in the small shop for spraying water borne coatings --- I've used Target Coatings, they are very nice and actually have some degree burn in --- this very important. Check the Old Forum posts for the EM6000 posts -- for those interested in WB it is well worth reading.
Last edited by kencierp on Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kickngas

Post by kickngas »

Ken, did you mean EM6000? Got any links to the $100 setup?
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

For what ever you want or need remember --- "GOOGLE" is your friend !!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... sort=price
Last edited by kencierp on Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kickngas

Post by kickngas »

Funny, when I searched "Goole", I found, "Goole is a market town and inland port in the North East of England with a population of about 18,000."
Sorry, could't help being a smart butt there Ken!
I did search for HVLP, but was looking more for specific units that would be endorsed by the fine folks here. I have seen the Rockler/Harbor Freight one mentioned on other forums but didn't know ifnthat was a safe bet.
Thanks for the link.
rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

Yeah there's a LOT more to spraying SV correctly than meets the eye. Don't miss the previous link and the other info Darryl posted.
You can get in trouble a lot easier than you can get out.
finishing is a lot like baking. It's more than a recipe, it's a formula and each componet enterlocks with the other to make good finished product.
Lots more info here..make sure you have a winning combination before you throw away $100 on something you can't use..
There's HVLP equipment and there's "HVLP" EQUIPMENT! :0)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=411

http://www.newenglandluthiers.org/conte ... inish.html