Buffing idea....

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
kelley71

Buffing idea....

Post by kelley71 »

Hi guys,

I am new in the way of buffing. I am curious about this link below...

http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-ccs-pack.html

It is a 6 pack of various 4 inch pads of your choosing that will attach to a drill. I have seen the Porter Cable polishers and HF Polishers. But I think for this small of a surface These might work well with the correct compounds. I don't trust myself nor want the expense of a large wheel buffer at this point.

What do you guys think? My Rigid Cordless drill has a no load high speed of 1650 RPM, so I could run at half and not burn.

Thanks....
tippie53

Re: Buffing idea....

Post by tippie53 »

I use an arbor , before that I used a random orbital buffer. Any drill will leave swirl marks. It is all about the compounds and cutting rates. You can get a car random buffer to use on the final buff with a wool bonnet and Maquires swirl remover #9
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

Thanks Mr. John

The last thing any of us wants to do is spend hard earned money on things that might not work.

Best regards,
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Kelly
Go to Harbor Freight and buy the 5" RO sander for about $20 with the 20% off coupon, then get a couple of Surbuf pads, about $13 each at Woodcraft or Rockler, one of those places. Use a rubbing compound one and a final polish, swirl remover type for the second. I used 3M rubbing compound and Novus #2 polish and achieved a very good high gloss swirl free finish on 5 guitars before I set up an arbor buffing system. Shoot it worked so well not sure I really need the buffer now.
Try the Surbuf's and an RO sander, I think you'll like the results.

Kevin
penndan

Post by penndan »

+1 for the Surbuf pads on a random orbital sander.
Good enough for the kind of women I go out with.
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

I tried those Autogeek pads. Did not work well for me. They are still sitting in a box.
Tim Benware