I am using Royal Lac shellac for my classical and loving it.

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Dexter

Re: I am using Royal Lac shellac for my classical and loving

Post by Dexter »

RnB & John,

Thanks for the suggestions. I did watch Todd Stock's video before starting and it's clear he has the skill to make it look easier than it is for beginners. I worked on getting the air bubbles out of the pores and the epoxy got very foamy in the process. I tried to keep working it until it stopped making bubbles, but still got some bridged-over spots that turned into craters after the first coat hardened. With the large number of pores that showed up way later, I don't think they could all have bridged. Also, some P2000 wet sanding flattened the finish down to the level of the pores without breaking through the finish. So they weren't very deep and may have been caused by sanding before the resin was fully cured.

I think I had a combination of problems. I now have the means to more precisely measure the resin/hardener proportions. I'll try working in smaller areas at a time so I can focus more on getting all the air out. And I'll give the resin at least 24 hours to cure before I do any sanding.

The learning continues. Thanks again.

Dexter
johnnparchem

Re: I am using Royal Lac shellac for my classical and loving

Post by johnnparchem »

One more tip I just got, If you have compressed air blow out the dust from the pores before pore filling.