minwax Wipe On Poly

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Zen

minwax Wipe On Poly

Post by Zen »

I would be interested in hearing how members use wipe on poly, especially in getting it to shine to a gloss or semi gloss finish.
I applied 5 thin coats of gloss minwax wipe on poly to a rosewood back and sides, sanding lightly between coats and leaving several hours between coats.
I now feel I have enough coats applied but not really seeing the shine I was expecting so far.
Anyone got some tips that you use ?
Thanks
Rusty
RUSTY
tippie53

Re: minwax Wipe On Poly

Post by tippie53 »

you may need to wait more between coats and I wouldn't sand between them. You have to build up finish but this is not a gloss finish.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Re: minwax Wipe On Poly

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I used the same product on the back of my Alvarez MD95, after fixing a Crack in the rosewood. After contacting St. Louis Music, and verifying that this was the correct finish, I put several very thin coats on, with 2 to 3 hours between each coat (no more than 3 in one day). Then, I allowed 3 days for it to cure, after the last coat. I used stove top polish, meant for glass top stoves, to hand polish it to a mirror shine.

When I fixed the back, I knew nothing about repairs. Now I would use Novus polish to finish it. However, it's been a year since this repair and it still looks like it came from the factory.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com