LMI Yellow glue Squeezout clean up

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
bearskindrum

LMI Yellow glue Squeezout clean up

Post by bearskindrum »

Hi All, I glued my bridge on last a few days ago and depite taking care cleaning up the squeezeout around the bridge a few times with a damp cloth and tissues over a 2 hour period, when I took the clamps off the next day after leaving the clamps on overnight there was a 2mm clear squeezout which had happened overnight!...so frustrating...any ideas on how to clean this up?? the finish is French polish so have to be careful not to damage it...I have heard that warm/hot water and vinegar may be the way to go??

Regards Mark
MaineGeezer

Re: LMI Yellow glue Squeezout clean up

Post by MaineGeezer »

I'm not sure this is the way to proceed, but chemical paint stripper will soften the glue. If you were really careful in its application, you might get away with using some. I don't know if there is anything you could use to mask off the area or not. The stripper would likely dissolve the adhesive on any sort of tape. Since you wouldn't be slopping it on though, tape might serve well enough to protect against errant drips and such.

I think I might be inclined to first try strictly mechanical means, however. If you could set up a fixture to guide a Dremel tool, for example, so there was no danger of veering off course. Or careful use of a chisel.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
B. Howard

Re: LMI Yellow glue Squeezout clean up

Post by B. Howard »

Unfortunately most solvents that will soften up the dried AR glue will also eat the shellac. A bit of careful steaming with a wet cloth and soldering iron will likely soften up the glue to the point where it can be removed with dental picks and such.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com