French Polishing Dreadnought- Advise please.

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Zen

French Polishing Dreadnought- Advise please.

Post by Zen »

THIS TOPIC IS LOCKED AS IT IS A REPEAT OF A PREVIOUS QUESTION.
GO HERE TO REVIEW OR RESPOND: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7144&p=37478#p37478

Hi guys,

I had started a french polish session on my new build dreadnought Top.
I put down 2 coats of sanding sealer and sanded in between coats so it looked like I had a nice level base. I then applied one coat of shellac using the french polish method --using alcohol , oil etc.
However I then noticed little railway tracks in the wood that had appeared and it appears that the shellac shows up little divots and absolutely any anomaly in the wood and apart from that I may have applied that first coat too thick as it just did not look right. So, I scraped it all down to practically bare wood again. I say that because obviously there will be some shellac that has soaked into the wood left behind but it looks all ready now.

So, I now need advise as a novice french polisher and would really appreciate if someone could provide some info on how to proceed but this time i need to get it 100% correct. So a couple of questions,
What do the pros use as a wash coat or is that the same as a sealer coat and is it sanding sealer. Would a coat of shellac not do the same job ?
I feel that if i can get the first couple of coats on as level and neatly as possible then I should be able to proceed with the remainder.
Hopefully someone can chip in with advise.
Cheers
Rusty
RUSTY