Pore Filling Ukulele with a Finishing CA.

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
johnnparchem

Pore Filling Ukulele with a Finishing CA.

Post by johnnparchem »

I sort of was in a rush to complete a Ukulele I want to bring to a friend this weekend. It usually takes me 2 days to do a zpoxy fill, more time than I had. Ukes are often left unfilled but I did want to deliver a pore filled\shellac FP. I had seen the video on using a finishing CA “Gear Up Products Fill and Finish” and I happened to have some; I decided to give it a try on the Ukulele. The video showed it being apply FP like with a rag. I found that the rags I had started reacting quickly to the CA so I just used a gloved finger. I used a drop at a time and pushed it into the wood in small swirling motions, trying to see it pushed into the grain. Once the glue was set, 3 minutes, I scraped all of the glue off of the surface with a fresh razor blade. I did this twice, total time was about 25 minutes. When you get to the last pictures I am only about an hour and a half from sanded wood.

I did this twice the first picture is right after scraping the second is with a wash coat of super blond shellac.

Here is the Ukulele after about an hour of French polishing using the method from the online Robbie O’brien French Polish class. I have about 3
sessions.

tippie53

Re: Pore Filling Ukulele with a Finishing CA.

Post by tippie53 »

nice indeed
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Wow John that is one beautiful uke.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Very nice John.

Did you use thin, med, or thick CA glue? What brand?
Slacker......
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Darryl it was a thick CA: Gear Up Products Fill and Finish. Thin cures a bit fast. With this product designed for finish repair I was able to work for a bit to push it in the pores and keep it thin. I only worked a drop at a time.