What stain under Tru-Oil...

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
justrfb

What stain under Tru-Oil...

Post by justrfb »

Hello All.
I asked in my build thread but I think it maybe getting lost... Please delete this thread if it is inappropriate. My oldest son would like his all mahogany (with RW binding) stained "very" dark. Could I just go to my local hardware store and get a "dark wood stain" to go under my Tru-Oil finish? Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Rich
B. Howard

Re: What stain under Tru-Oil...

Post by B. Howard »

Stains can be a bit tricky under a wipe on oil type finish but it can be done. You can use any type of stain you like. The trick is getting the first coat or two of oil down without lifting or smearing the stain. Put the first coat down deliberately with long flowing strokes. You will likely be picking up some stain back off the surface with each pass so change your pad often. Don't stop or start in the middle of a panel, fly on and off the surfaces. You may need to scrape your bindings again after the first coat or two. Once the stain is sealed in the oil should go on as normal.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Would a sealing coat of 1 or 2 lb cut shellac work under the first tru-oil coat?

-d.
Monkmusic

Post by Monkmusic »

De-waxed shellac works great under tru oil.
I've used the stewmac stains under tru oil and don't remember having any trouble. I'd try it out on some test pieces first. Let it dry for a few days before you apply the tru oil.