Re: French Polish--again

Post by Zen »

No, its barely 1millmetre ,or 0.03937 inch , Not thick at all
Rusty
RUSTY
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

That is thick. As I stated earlier mine are about 3 mils or .003". Sounds to me as if the shellac built up against the edge of your tape.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
Zen

Post by Zen »

B. Howard wrote:That is thick. As I stated earlier mine are about 3 mils or .003". Sounds to me as if the shellac built up against the edge of your tape.

I think I may be getting confused with mils and mm etc etc. In Europe we use metric but when I was going to school it was imperial and then they changed it when I was a teenager just to confuse us.
Anyway, all I can say is its definitely not a thick build so you are both correct. What I should have said is that it would be impossible to measure and looks very thin and in fact its probably about half the dept of the tape if thats any help.
I'm going to try a few more coats regardless as I've noticed some very small scratches and also a bit of a gritty patch in another area underneath the last couple of coats, so I'm thinking about sanding it again with very fine grit sandpaper ?
I have 2000 and 2500 grit but again its european grit and I believe the Usa equivalent is different. Anyway its very fine and should be ok but I guess I need to be very careful not to sand through.,
I hate this part as I though I had it completed and indeed the average naked eye would probably not see it unless one was looking for it but I want to get it right.
Thanks Guys and your input is much appreciated
Rusty
RUSTY