Maple fretboard binding finishing?

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Phil

Maple fretboard binding finishing?

Post by Phil »

One of the guitars am I am building is rosewood with maple bindings. I am thinking of binding the rosewood fretboard with maple as well. The part that I'm a bit confused with is finishing. Now with plastic binding for example, the back of the neck is sprayed with lacquer and up to the edges of the fretboard, the top (fretboard) edge of the binding is not lacquered. Not a problem with plastic binding, but if I use maple binding, that top edge would be bare maple which would turn black with playing wear. Which makes me think how would I finish this properly to protect the maple?
B. Howard

Re: Maple fretboard binding finishing?

Post by B. Howard »

You could simply finish the fretboard entirely, maybe a matte finish rather than gloss.

You could bevel the top of the maple at 30 degrees to match the fret end bevel, finish up to the RW and the fret ends will set back in the thickness of the binding. Think sort of like Gibson but different.

You could saturate the maple with CA after scraping it level and let that be the finish on the top edge.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I think here is where CA is the "finish" of choice . Rosewood really won't finish well and you only need a bit of portection along the fretboard.
I have done this in the past
A
sand the neck . when all level mask off the neck and expose the maple . Also have the fretboard masked. Apply a few coats of finish to the binding.
B stain the neck
C apply the ca on the top of the maple binding.
D finish the neck

If you apply the CA first , this wicks into the Mahogany and can leave a glue footprint. Once stained the ca flow over won't show under finish .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Phil

Post by Phil »

I don't know if it makes any difference or not, but I forgot to mention that the finish I'll be using is Target EM1000 sealer and EM6000 waterbased lacquer.

I think I understand what you guys are explaining with the CA glue. I'm still having a hard time envisioning how to make a nicely finished seam between the maple and rosewood but I think I'll have to glue up some scrap test pieces and give it a try.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

that is the best , make a test study. You will learn much.
Techniques are like tools , the more you can acquire the better you will be. Take picture and post results.
jh
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
jcphotog

Post by jcphotog »

I'm about to encounter the same problem….so glad I saw this post beforehand. Do lets us know what works for you…..