grounding again part 2

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
earldunk

grounding again part 2

Post by earldunk »

Got my wiring diagram for 2 hums and one volume. the way this guitar body has been made (acess holes for the wires the neck pup grounding wire will not reach the volume pot, can i just ground this to the 3 way switch?. B ecause the switch will be grounded to the pot anyway with another wire, I know i could just solder on some more wire but one of my pet hates is having a mass of wires on the volume pot. IM A NEAT FREAK ARGHHHHHHHHHHH, This way i will only have 2 wires to the pot the ground for the other humbucker and the ground for the out put, the ground for the tremlo will be soldered to the ground to the input jack in the middle of the wire ( with some heat shrink around the joint.
btberlin

Re: grounding again part 2

Post by btberlin »

If I recall correctly, it is best to have all the grounded conductors tied together at one point to avoid ground loops, which can cause hum. However, you can certainly experiment - try grounding to the switch and the switch to the pot - see how that works out. If it doesn't work well, try the other option of tying all grounded conductors to the same point - like the pot.

bert
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

btberlin wrote:If I recall correctly, it is best to have all the grounded conductors tied together at one point to avoid ground loops, which can cause hum. However, you can certainly experiment - try grounding to the switch and the switch to the pot - see how that works out. If it doesn't work well, try the other option of tying all grounded conductors to the same point - like the pot.

bert
+1 Take all those diagrams with the ground wires attached the pot covers and trash them. Run all the grounds to the same spot and rid yourself of the dreaded ground loop.
Tim Benware
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/
it don't get much easier than this
select the wiring set up and hit submit
I use this a lot
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

tippie53 wrote:http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/
it don't get much easier than this
select the wiring set up and hit submit
I use this a lot
I use that site alot too John but I connect ALL my grounds to a piece of copper foil and out to ground and never solder to the pots anymore. Eliminates possibility for ground loops and that annoying hum.
Tim Benware
earldunk

Post by earldunk »

Solved the problem, with tims idea, i got a blank turret board ( the ones with the small holes and copper on the back, and going to cut a section of it off and solder all my grounding connections in to the holes, solder one wire to the pot when i solder the peg to ground the pot and use my wide heat shrink wrap to cover it. I will use a drill a small hole in one corner and mount it to the side of the cavity. No more messy pots yay.