first guitar build

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
mdutko

first guitar build

Post by mdutko »

Hello everyone, I am building my first kit guitar a Martin 000 is coming out quite nicely. Body is all done, bound sanded and scraped with 220 grit. Its Mahogany with spruce top, cedar neck rosewood fretboard. Im posting here since I will be using Tru Oil for the finish. I have read all the posts, watched countless videos and just have some questions that I know have been answered in other posts, but I often find some of it confusing as there are so many different opinions and techniques. I think I have the basics covered and will practice of scrap but just looking for a little input. The guitar is coming out so nicely I dont want the finishing process to mess it up. My questions are as follows:
How many coats should I plan on applying? Im not looking for super high gloss more of a satin look
Should I finish the body and neck separately or glue it up and then finish? I have seen it done both ways
Should I finish the fretboard? Or just use the lemon oil fretboard conditioner I use on my other guitars?
What grit should I sand everything to before applying the first coat?

Thanks in advance, you guys are the best when it comes to advice
B. Howard

Re: first guitar build

Post by B. Howard »

Should I finish the body and neck separately or glue it up and then finish? I have seen it done both ways

I prefer to finish first and then glue the neck. It makes finishing a little easier and makes service down the road easier when a neck re-set is needed.

Should I finish the fretboard? Or just use the lemon oil fretboard conditioner I use on my other guitars?

You can finish it if you like but there is no need to. I use lemon oil myself.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

lemon oil is perfumed mineral oil
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
mdutko

Post by mdutko »

I know but it smells really nice! I picked up a bottle of Kyser Lem-Oil fret board conditioner at my local music shop, used it on my strat. did a nice job, smells great so I get a little aromatherapy while Im playing...okay im being stupid now but it did work great. $5 for a 4 ounce spray bottle, probably last me the rest of my life