crowning files, and 12 string bridge lifting.

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
earldunk

crowning files, and 12 string bridge lifting.

Post by earldunk »

I have been using a triangle file that i grinded off the edges so i don't damage the fret board, An undisclosed family member tidyed up the garage today and took a box of mine to the skips along with my wood samples. How good are the proper crowning files? never used them before but have seen how much easyier it is to do the crowning with them.

found this one on ebay,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guitar-Fret-C ... 27d3d2c754
What i want to know is this product going to do a different size fret wires or do i need more than one as i have 7 guitars and they differ in wire sizes, I have 2 that need to be done on the next string change.

Another quick question by beloved 12 string has lifting at the bridge and some belly showing have i noticed today its not a really expensive guitar but I really love playing it I have had it for 17 years and the repair man i spoke to said the job will cost more than its worth and recommended me buying a new one.
I replaced a bridge on another acoustic last year and it went ok but it was not bellying like my 12 string , i have seen a product called the bridge doctor and that looks ok, and have seen a vid where a guy put a damp cloth on the belly and steamed it with an iron then put some wood across the top and some under the body then clamped them on either side and weighted the top down and left it for 2 weeks ( then replaced the bridge). he said this flattened the belly out.

would that work or is it best to go with the bridge doctor?,