wiring question

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
earldunk

wiring question

Post by earldunk »

I am doing an evh style electric guitar with one volume and one 3 way switch, and am wondering about coil tapping splitting my humbuckers to single coil with the push pull pots and how it can be done on mine.

my second option is active pickups, now I did own a guitar with active pickups 15 years ago but was not tinkering then , what would be my options on this wiring config.
Ben-Had

Re: wiring question

Post by Ben-Had »

Are you using a toggle or lever switch, how many PUPs.
Tim Benware
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Adding a coil tap via a push/pull pot or small toggle switch is no problem. Simply find the diagram for you pick up and run a wire from the coil bridge to the center lug on the tap switch and then ground one of the end lugs.

Active systems are very limited in wiring options like coil taps and phase swaps etc. Withy them you need to pick what you want the system to do before hand.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

This should work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Benware
earldunk

Post by earldunk »

thanks tim, just gotta decide what pickups i want, narrowed the selection to my favorite brand Irongear, its either tesla sharks ( sound like the slash duncans) , or the hammer heads ( the name describes the sound).