New UV Cured Varnish Finish (Too good to be True?)

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Darryl Young

New UV Cured Varnish Finish (Too good to be True?)

Post by Darryl Young »

I don't know anything about it, but it's worth your time to watch the test video at the link below. UV resistant, cures in seconds under a UV lamp (think how great that would be to control dust which is a big issue when home finishing in the garage or outdoors like the hobby builder often does), passes an adhesion test in the video, doesn't blister when contacted by direct flame, when dented with a hammer it deforms instead of cracks, zero VOCs so safer than some finishes. Might be worth a look......interesting to say the least. Watch the test video in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

What do you think?

http://varnishmarine.com/
Slacker......
Tony_in_NYC

Re: New UV Cured Varnish Finish (Too good to be True?)

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Amazing! Looks like an incredible product.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Its true -- the factories (including Taylor) and the bigger boutique shops use UV cure pore filler and top coatings. Not varnish but polyester. Note that the hand held curing light costs only -- $2700 !!!
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

If everyone gets together, sends me their guitars, I'll go to Punta Arenas, Chile, and me and the guitars will bask in the uv rays down there. We'll all get cured.
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

You are going to need help carrying the guitars. I volunteer to help with that.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I don't this is the same product that Taylor is using. Martin had been experimenting with a UV finishes . Some are very guitar friendly. Some are too heavy. This is a marine product and may be a heavy finish . You don't need a lot of finish and only what you need to make the wood look finished. This can be as light as .006 total finish.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com