Z-Poxy on bindings

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
MartinHD

Z-Poxy on bindings

Post by MartinHD »

Was looking for some advice. Have put 3 coats of z-poxy on my guitar. In the process, some of it has gotten on my ivoroid bindings and hardened, especially the bindings connecting the back to the sides.

Does anyone have any advice as to the best way to get it off. Scrape carefully with a razor blade? Sand it off? Or should I just try to sand it level and then plan on covering the back, sides and bindings with my 50/50 wash coat of z-poxy?

Next time I will definitely be more painstakingly careful to make sure I keep the z-poxy off the bindings. :)

Thanks in advance for your help.

-CP
johnnparchem

Re: Z-Poxy on bindings

Post by johnnparchem »

I do not see any issue with using a razor to clean the bindings. If you do leave zpoxy on the bindings, not a bad thing, but it will give them an amber tint. I mostly use wood bindings but when I finished an electric guitar with white bindings, I sprayed on a burst without bothering to tape them. When I was finished with the color I notched a scraper the exact depth of the bindings and scraped off all of the color, with a really clean line.
MartinHD

Post by MartinHD »

Thanks John. I ended up scraping overly raised splotches off of the bindings with a scraper and a razor blade and also got some decent clean-up by sanding the bindings with a 320 grit sanding pad. The color did not bother me, so when I did my last coat of z-poxy which was 50% diluted with denatured alcohol I wiped it over the back, sides and bindings. So long as there are no raised globs, I think it should end up looking okay.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

What you did sounds right to me.
nehsgolfer

Post by nehsgolfer »

What do you use to spread the Zpoxy on the neck? Seems like a credit card or squeegee wouldn't be the best thing.
MartinHD

Post by MartinHD »

Wearing gloves, I used my fingers to spread it and push it into pores. The pores on the mahogany neck were no where near as deep and big as those on the rosewood.
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

nehsgolfer wrote:What do you use to spread the Zpoxy on the neck? Seems like a credit card or squeegee wouldn't be the best thing.
I use a rubber squeegee sold by autobody suppliers. It is designed to be used when wetsanding a auto finish but they work great at spreading epoxy on irregular surfaces.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com