Finishing my latest 2 Guitars w Tru Oil on B&S, FP on tops

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
glasalle1

Finishing my latest 2 Guitars w Tru Oil on B&S, FP on tops

Post by glasalle1 »

Hey Folks,

In the finishing stage for the 2 guitars I am building (Jumbo Prairie state w Bearclaw sitka top & Mad RW B&S, African Hog OM with Lutz top):

I put on about 13-14 thin coats of Tru oil over Z-poxy (with Shellac barrier between). Waiting a couple weeks to harden, then I will buff out with 4000 thru 12000, and finally polish with Meguiars.
IMG_2693.jpg
IMG_2688.jpg
Started French Polishing the tops - Only a few sessions into the process, but starting to look pretty good:
IMG_2687.jpg
Glenn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
glasalle1

Re: Finishing my latest 2 Guitars w Tru Oil on B&S, FP on to

Post by glasalle1 »

IMG_2692.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

very nice!

Post by   »

glasalle1 wrote:Hey Folks,

Started French Polishing the tops - Only a few sessions into the process, but starting to look pretty good:

Glenn
'Pretty good' is an understatement.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

you are doing a great job on them Glenn. That one top is familiar
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

Thanks Guys! Yeah, that bear claw top I got from you John. Its on Pete's guitar - and he loves it. What is funny is my wife came into the shop (rare) and saw the top, and asked if I would build her a guitar with a bear claw top. Then she said, Oh, and I want Brazilian rosewood too... which I calmly suggested a few other woods :-).

This is my first attempt at tru oil for the B&S. I REALLY like the feel of tru oil on the necks (my first 2 were French polished, but I tru oiled the necks). All in all, I really like how they came out so far. I have a few spots i need to work on, then buff out. Since I am not set-up for spraying, French Polish or Tru Oil works for me. If anybody uses a different varnish, would love to see your schedule.

Glenn
Zen

Post by Zen »

Great Job !! Just wondering what meguiars product you use and when etc.
I was excited to see we can finally get it here in Europe on Amazon.
I'm sure there may be an alternative over here as well that car sprayers use from time to time, but I notice a lot of you guys use meguiars.
Any advise appreciated regarding your finishing and polishing as I'm still trying to get that right and it takes me almost as long to finish a guitar as it does to build it so something needs to change.
Many Thanks
Rusty
RUSTY