TRU OIL Finish

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Dave Sayers

Re: TRU OIL Finish

Post by Dave Sayers »

I have tried Tru oil and was unsatisfied with the results.
I loved Tru oil sealer for real wood pickguards.
As I always aim for a simple wood finish I go for Renaissance wax after a good preparation.
If the customer wants a shiny guitar there are plenty out there to be chosen from.
I also believe a Renaissance wax finish against a shiny varnish looks a mile better. I am looking at a spruce top finished in wax and it out classes any shiny varnish by a mile. It also lets the wood resonate beautifully.
If you like shiny keep spreading gunk on your soundboards. That ain't my way.
Zen

Post by Zen »

Dave Sayers wrote:I have tried Tru oil and was unsatisfied with the results.
As I always aim for a simple wood finish I go for Renaissance wax after a good preparation.
If the customer wants a shiny guitar there are plenty out there to be chosen from.
I also believe a Renaissance wax finish against a shiny varnish looks a mile better. I am looking at a spruce top finished in wax and it out classes any shiny varnish by a mile. It also lets the wood resonate beautifully.

This is interesting Dave and thanks for the input. I had planned to french polish the top and do the oil on the back and sides but you got me thinking now.
I actually bought a tin of Renaissance Wax --its one of the few finishing products I can get easily enough here without shipping from usa. I never actually got around to using it so would be obliged if you would describe how you work it and what you use underneath etc . Feel free to send me a PM if you want.
RUSTY
Zen

Post by Zen »

B. Howard wrote:You are going to need to do a test. Put a coat of de waxed shellac on a board, let it dry for a few hours, scuff it with 320 and then put on some tru oil and see if it will work. I think it will, but i cannot be certain.

It will work Brian because I have used it once before but its the shellac over the zpoxy I was more concerned about.
Will shellac adhere properly with zpoxy underneath--albeit a small amount of zpoxy that I used as a pore filler and sanded ,

Heres a pic if thats any help and i wont bother you again today as I know you are a busy man and thanks for taking the time

It shows the back and sides pore filled with zpoxy and then sanded back again and hopefully now a coat of de waxed shellac and then tru oil --how does that sound?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUSTY
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Shellac definitely will adhere to epoxy, I do it all the time. I see in the pics there is enough epoxy hanging on the wood to cause issues with an oil finish.

I tried a wax finish on one guitar a long time ago. Hot gum spirits, bees wax and carnuba. Brushed on, buffed off. Did not like the feel much. the constant maintenance was also a problem a sit wore away quickly. And it prevented any other finish from then being applied.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
Zen

Post by Zen »

B. Howard wrote:Shellac definitely will adhere to epoxy, I do it all the time. I see in the pics there is enough epoxy hanging on the wood to cause issues with an oil finish.

I tried a wax finish on one guitar a long time ago. Hot gum spirits, bees wax and carnuba. Brushed on, buffed off. Did not like the feel much. the constant maintenance was also a problem a sit wore away quickly. And it prevented any other finish from then being applied.

Thanks for the tip about there still being some epoxy on there__I may need to get sanding again then

Once again I really appreciate your advise and have a great day--bedtime here in Ireland soon. I will put up a few pics of the finish when I get that far.
Rusty
RUSTY
Zen

Re: TRU OIL Finish/ Sanding Sealer

Post by Zen »

Anyone got an opinion on this problem I am having. After a long day of preparation and sanding I decided to get one coat of sanding sealer on the back before hitting the hay for the night so that it would be dry in the morning.
So, new rag new brush , new bottle of de waxed sanding sealer and away we go. But the second the sealer hits the wood I can feel the brush dragging as if its going off already. So, a quick flip over to the rag and tried applying it that way but same outcome. I got a coat on there but was expecting it to go on smoothly ?
I can sand back again in the morning but surely this should not be happening with sanding sealer. I have sanded the instrument really well and its as smooth as could be and any Zpoxy pore filler has been removed apart from whats in the pores
Its fresh Rustins sanding sealer -thats what we get in Europe and theres not much choices. Should i have diluted it or whats the story here

Thanks in advance for any tips
Rusty
RUSTY
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Sorry, i am not familiar with that product. Is it shellac? Shellac will dry really fast, especially the first coat. But it should not drag. Stale shellac usually just won't dry.could be a reaction between the sealer and maybe some of the true oil that may still be left on the surface. If it dried, i would put on another coat and then level sand. If the next coat doesn't go down better then i would say the sealer is bad.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
Zen

Post by Zen »

Dave Sayers wrote:I have tried Tru oil and was unsatisfied with the results.

Old post I know Dave but if you get this would you tell me if you think the Renaissance wax would go on OVER a tru oil finish ?
RUSTY