shellac seal coat on top?

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
rhagen

shellac seal coat on top?

Post by rhagen »

I read somewhere the advice to put a seal coat on my top to protect it and keep it clean while assembling the box, routing the binding, etc. I'm going to use the Target EM6000 WB lacquer for finishing. I guess I can use the Target WB shellac under the lacquer as this seal coat?

How can I mask the bridge at this early stage when I can't accurately mark its location? Do I have to just spray it and deal with scraping the bridge location clean later?
kencierp

Re: shellac seal coat on top?

Post by kencierp »

I would suggest nitro lacquer sealer instead of shellac --- the later tints the wood and if not sanded perfectly will leave a blotchy appearance that sometimes in not noticable until top coats are being applied ---- I simply do not use shellac, in my view there are modern products that work much better.

Here's how to make a bride mask

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/bridgemask.html
rhagen

Post by rhagen »

I know HOW to make a bridge mask, I'm asking if/how you can do it at this point when the top isn't attached and you can't locate it properly.

I'd prefer to stick with water-based finishing materials - not nitro.

Rick
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

You need the top on the guitar to make the mask. In light of that , you will need a sure way to locate the top. In a nutshell , with the center line clearly established , you can set the neck block location. I use 3/4 of an inch on on each side od center and 15/16 from the edge of the guitar , I will drill a 1/4 inch hole. I use the same positions on the neck block only using the side edge as the start to locate 15/16 and likewise drill matching holes. This assures the top is located positively . Now you can rough guess in the mask location.
My best advise is to do this after the top is on so you can be sure nothing has shifted. Make your bridge mask and keep if about 1/8 inch smaller . This allows some fudge room

NOTE: I stopped using a mask and will route off the finish at the time of setting the bridge once the neck is on.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com