problem with tru oil over macassar ebony

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
darren

problem with tru oil over macassar ebony

Post by darren »

I seem to be having an issue with tru oil soaking in to my macassar ebony headplate, perhaps someone here can help me work through it.

My headplate has highly contrasting stripes(actually, splotches more than stripes), and it seems like the oil is soaking right in to the blond or lighter stripes. I'm on coat 5, and on each coat, it looks like I haven't even applied any oil to the striped areas - i thought at first glance that i had dragged a dry part of my cotton 'applicator' and picked up the oil in a few areas but it has been consistent on each coat. The same areas appear dry; the dark ebony is building a shiny finish, but it's dull right on the blond areas. I'm thinking maybe I should sand it back to wood and do a quick pore-fill with ca and then try a few oil coats, see if that helps. I did seal everything with a coat of shellac and the 'dry' stripes did not show up at that time. I used ca on the backstrap and heelcap, which are Koa and IRW, respectively, and they are looking very nice.

Has anyone come across something like this?

thanks!
Darren
Ken Hundley

Re: problem with tru oil over macassar ebony

Post by Ken Hundley »

I would try couple of coats of zinsser sandingsealer, then go back to the truoil
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
darren

Re: problem with tru oil over macassar ebony

Post by darren »

Thanks, Ken
It appears to be working its way slowly in from the edges of the splotches so I'm going to give it another few coats before doing anything different... would you sand back some of the tru oil (to the wood (?))or just hit it with the sanding sealer and go back to oil?
Darren