Timbermate wood filler

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Tony_in_NYC

Timbermate wood filler

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Has anyone used Timbermate wood filler yet? I got a sample in the mail a while ago and never used it. I need to buy some tint so I can test it on my walnut scraps. It gets good reviews on StewMac. Hopefully someone will weigh in on this. It seems too good to be true.
Thanks,

Tony
Tony_in_NYC

Re: Timbermate wood filler

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Bump.
rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

Lots of folks using it over at ReRanch on mahogany, swamp ash, some walnut it appears to stand up to all the reviews...most find it the simplest yet with superior sanding properties.
Apparently, ...in addition to the natural that can be tinted, they now have more color choices to better accommodate our North American wood types.
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Thanks for the info!
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

I am going to try Timbermate on my walnut scraps. I will test a dark filler and the one they call natural to see how it comes out. I will post pics when I am done. Timbermate is on back order till next week sometime. Just an FYI for any interested parties.
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

I wanted to make a quick update to my Timbermate pore filling test saga.
Last night I tried out the Timbermate on a small scrap of walnut. This particular piece was not overly porous, but it did indeed have pores to be filled. I mixed the Timbermate in a small plastic bowl. The instructions call for you to mix the Timbermate until it is the consistancy of thick paint.
So, in true Tony fashion, I did not follow the instructions and made it thinner. I used a plastic credit card type of scraper to smoosh the resulting goop in every direction on the wood surface.
I then wiped up any excess with a damp paper towel.
After about 30 minutes of drying, it looks to be totally filled. I will be sanding the piece today to double check. Then I will lacquer it.

If this works as well on a large piece, this could be the easiest pore filling method I have heard of. The product cleans up with water in seconds too!

When my dark tinted Timbermate arrives, I am going to test it on another scrap to compare how I like the two colors. The one I did last night was the "natural base" filler.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

sounds good. keep us informed on this
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Get a piece of Luan plywood and try it. Seems to be a good test.

Are the pores clear or do they look whitish? Maybe this product will work out well.
Slacker......
vacooley

Post by vacooley »

I used pre-tinted Mahogany Timbermate on the mahogany neck of my L00. I thinned it per the instructions and it worked well.

I also used the pre-tinted Redwood Timbermate on a couple of oopsies on my redwood binding and to fill the grain of the redwood peghead veneer.

It sands just like wood and worked well.

The only caveat is that I had to seal the redwood fill spots with a VERY light coat of super glue because the alcohol based shellac was washing out the filler. This only happened on the two spots I filled the binding with and a very small fill I did around the inlay on the peghead. The mahogany neck did not have the problem.

You can see picks in here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=555

(The reddish tint of the neck came from a combination of blond, red and garnet shellac applied in alternating sessions until I got the color I wanted. The original color of the neck with just blond shellac was a bit on the yellow side.)
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

Interesting. Anything that can improve/shorten the filling process without sacrificing quality is a good thing. Any idea where we can get it?
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan