Timbermate wood filler

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Tony_in_NYC

Re: Timbermate wood filler

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Stewmac has it and woodcraft too. Just Google it. A little of this stuff goes a long way. I am going to lacquer my test pieces when they are done. Wait to see pics before you buy. I will be doing a dark filler and the natural one to see which I like best. Pics will be here when its all done. I have some scraps with big pores to test. The pores on this piece were small. I want to really test this stuff.
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Tony, I've got 2 jars of that ready in my cart depending on what you say about it. We have the same type neck, right? Laminated. I'm wondering what it will do to the maple on those necks, and anxiously await your decision.
Right now I'm going to use Target's HSF5100. But if that stuff works for rosewood and mahogany, the 5100 can be had by anyone here for postage. (about 1/2 or 2/3 of a quart).
Bob
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

I was asked in an email if I had used any sanding sealer on my test scrap and I had not. So, in an effort to really test this stuff properly, I picked out two new scraps of walnut that have bigger pores than my original test pieces. I sprayed some sanding sealer on them and thinned the Timbermate to the proper consistency and made another attempt at filling last night. Since it was about 2:00AM when I had finished spreading the filler, I put the scraps aside and went to bed. Tonight I will sand and see how the first pass of filler did. Again, one piece is going to get the natural filler, and the second piece will get a darker tinted filler. Stewmac emailed me that my dark Timbermate shipped a bit earlier than expected, so hopefully by Monday I will have it and I can finish this test.
So far, with the too thin batch of filler I mixed, and it was WAY too thin by the way, the pores on my test piece that I did not spray sanding sealer on look OK. Since I decided not to use this piece any longer do to it not having been sealed before pore filling, I sprayed some rattle can lacquer on it last night. It looks pretty nice color wise, but the pores were not totally filled. So the test continues with a new scrap tonight with natural Timbermate, and (fingers crossed) by Monday with the dark colored filler. I ordered rosewood colored filler and I hope it was not the wrong choice for the walnut. It is definitely darker than the walnut, and since its not actual rosewood, I dont think there will be a problem.
Thats my update for now. Hopefully coach Bob did not get trigger happy last night and place his order!!
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

The dark Timbermate came today! Pore filling scraps tonight!
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Is this product similar to CrystaLac Clear Waterbourne filler?
Slacker......
Tony_in_NYC

Dare: Timbermate wood filler

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Darryl, I have no idea. I never used a pore filler before. This stuff is completely water soluable and if you have any left over that you mixed with water and didn't use, you just dump it back in the container. It can be cleaned up when totally dry on tools and surfaces with water or alcohol. You can even thin it with alcohol so you can get to sanding sooner. It seems like a miracle product! Let's see how it works when I sand it tonight.
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Pictures of my test panels. On the left is panel #1 that has one application of "natural base tint" Timbermate. On the right is test panel #2 that has not had any filler but has had a light coat of sanding sealer applied to it.

You can see that panel #2 has some visible pores. The picture does not do it justice, but it is pretty porous. Its obviously not oak, but it has some decent sized pores. As I write this, both panels are drying and awaiting sanding. Panel #1 has a second application of filler on it, #2 has its first coat of Rosewood filler on it. Once I get my infant to bed, I will sand and post pics.
Am I supposed to sand back to bare wood with filler or not? I don't really know, so any tips would be appreciated. I am also going to look on Timbermate's website at their instructions.
Stay tuned!
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Well...better late than never I guess. I wanted to shoot some lacquer on the pieces to get the full effect. And without further ado here is the piece with the natural tint filler:

Rosewood colored filler:

There you have it. It looks good even without polishing and sanding. I prefer the darker tinted filler. Its pretty tough to photograph these because of the glare. I took these pics without a flash but you still can not really tell a difference between the dark and light pore filler in the pics. In person, there is a big difference.
Summary:
I like this filler. I never used another one, so I cant compare it to anything else, but it sands easily, seems to have filled pretty well with 3 very quick coats and with two quick spritzes of lacquer, the wood is about as flat as I think it will get. I should have shot some pics of it filled but not lacquered, but in my haste to post my results, I forgot.
Thanks for looking.

Tony
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

good info , I like this . Thanks for the work and sharing
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

No problem John. I wanted to test it out anyway and since the forum is all about helping and sharing, I said to myself, "Self, you should share because it might help." So I did. I am awesome for doing so too. LOL